We have heard several reports from members who received calls from scammers. They call claiming to be associated with Sunrise Family Credit Union. Please be aware this is a phisher scam with no caller ID to identify them. DO NOT give them any money, bank account information, debit card or credit card information! If you have questions or concerns please Call SFCU Member Services at 989-684-1730 or 800-589-1079. Your safety is important to us.
Debit/ATM Card and PELL Grant Scams
We value all of our members and their financial well-being. It is important that we also keep you informed of active scams that are taking place in our area. Please be aware and prepared if anyone should approach you on either of the following:
Giving or Selling Your Debit/ATM card. If anyone approaches you about giving or selling your card, it is a scam. They may make you think that you are helping someone out, but they are not. Once they have obtained your card it will be used to make fake deposits and real withdrawals to your account. We don’t want you to encounter any of these issues or the losses.
PELL Grants. Although PELL Grants are legitimate grants used for education, there is a scam taking place where individuals are notified they are eligible for a PELL Grant. The scammers request you send a sum of money to a specified location and provided your account number and online banking information in order to put the grant back into your account. PELL Grants are solicited to individuals. The only way the grant is given is if the person actually applies to receive it.
Please use caution and alert authorities if you are approached for either of these scams, they can both cause significant financial losses.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Sunrise Family Credit Union 989-684-1730 or toll free 800-589-1079
Micro Tech Support Phone Scam
We have heard several reports from members who received calls from scammers. They call claiming to be Computer Techs associated with well-known companies such as Microsoft. They say they've detected viruses or other malware on your computer to trick you into giving them remote access to your computer or paying for software you don't need.
DO NOT let them have remote control access (remote into your computer), DO NOT go to any website they direct you to and DO NOT give them any money, bank account information, debit card or credit card information!
If you have allowed them to take control of your computer, or you have downloaded their "FIX" software, it is possibly they have infected your computer, stole your personal information or bank account information.
If you believe that your computer or personal information may have been compromised, contact us immediately to secure your SFCU Account and change passwords.
Call SFCU Member Services at 989-684-1730 or 800-589-1079
Card Services at 989-671-6022
SFCU Security Tips
Because we care!
Protecting your information
Your identity is one of your most valuable assets. Sunrise Family Credit Union is committed to teaching our members how to prevent, detection, fix and report fraud and also identity theft.
Prevention is the most critical element in avoiding fraud.
- Shred anything that contains your name, address or other sensitive information before discarding - including invoices, receipts, statements, personalized letters, catalogs and pre-approved credit offers. Use a cross-cut shredder for the best results.
- Protect your Social Security number! Do not carry your Social Security card in your wallet. Avoid carrying cards that display your Social Security number such as health insurance cards, unless needed to receive care.
- Use only trusted websites for online transactions. Do not provide credit card numbers or personal information on any website if you are not sure the site is authentic. Choose companies with secure transactions and strong privacy and security policies. A good detection is a website with "secured locks" in the corner of the website.
- Check your credit reports as frequently as possible - at least twice a year. Under the FACT Act, U.S.... consumers are entitled to one free credit report each year from each of the three major credit bureaus.
Despite all efforts to prevent identity fraud, it can still occur. The earlier it is detected, however, the more quickly we can help you take action to stop it. Be alert and take immediate action on the following:
- Bills that do not arrive as expected
- Unexpected credit cards or account statements
- Denials of credit for no apparent reason
- Calls or letters about purchases you didn't make
Correcting the fraudulent activity is the final step.
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with
- Contact our Member Service Office at 989-684-1730 or 800-589-1079 immediately if you suspect fraud
- Keep detailed records of the incident
Sunrise Family Credit Union Contact Information
If you suspect or notice any suspicions account activity or experience any information security related problems or events with Sunrise Family Credit Union you should immediately contact us at the following:
Sunrise Family Credit Union
Monday - Wednesday
9:00am - 5:00pm
9:00am - 5:00pm
Thursday - Friday
LOBBY AND DRIVE-THRU
LOBBY AND DRIVE-THRU
You can also go to one of our three Branch Locations to report suspicious account activity or discuss any security-related problems with Sunrise Family Credit Union Banking.
404 S. Euclid Ave., Bay City, MI 48706
190 N. Powell St., Essexville, MI 48732
3887 S. Huron Rd., Standish, MI 48658
To Report Lost or Stolen Cards:
- Debit Cards 1.800.754.4128
- Credit Cards 1.800.449.7728